Chicago Whitewater Association is a 501(c) non-profit organization. Chicago, Illinois
This is going to be a 1-day clinic to cover all of the basics needed to get into whitewater kayaking. It will be suitable for people completely new to kayaking, as well as those with some kayaking experience looking to break into whitewater.
This class will cover all of the topics normally covered in CWA's pool classes, but in a condensed day rather than spread out over 6-8 weeks. The goal of this class is to prepare students to participate on Level 1 beginner river trips lead by the club.
Most of this class will be spent on flatwater sections of the fox river, but if time allows at the end, we will hopefully get to spend some time on the marge cline whitewater park at the very end. That being said, it should be emphasized that most of the class will be spent in calm water learning to maneuver in a whitewater kayak.
Topics to be included:
- Kayak designs & features
- Kayak outfitting /sitting in your kayak
- kayak gear: PFD, Helmet, skirt Paddle
- Getting in/out of a kayak
- Wet exits
- T-rescue (aka: Bow rescue)
- Paddle Strokes: Forward/Reverse Sweep, Slicing/Skulling Draw, Forward
- Bracing (low & high)
- River reading & on river safety
- Kayak edging and eddy turns. If time is available:
- Throw ropes
- 1 or 2 runs down the whitewater course.
Topics not included: Rolling (not enough time)
CWA will be providing the following: Whitewater Kayak, Paddle, Spray Skirt, PFD, Helmet, IL water usage stamp.
What you need to bring:
-Water or Gatorade, lunch, sunblock, wetsuit, water shoes (not flip flops), noseplugs towel, ACA Insurance waiver.